I am happy to announce the first release of IcedTea-Web!
IcedTea-Web is an addon component to IcedTea. It is open source (GPL + LGPL for
some parts) and provides a Java web browser plugin (IcedTea NP Plugin) and Java
Web Start implementation (i.e. javaws binary, based on NetX and referred to as such). Additionally, release 1.0 also contains an alpha preview of itweb-settings, a GUI tool to control deployment settings for NetX and the plugin.
So what is new in the plugin and NetX in icedtea-web you ask? Well, lots!
- NetX and plugin configuration can now be specified via a deployment.properties file
- System-level as well as user-level deployment.properties files with locked configuration are supported
- Applications and applets can now have a Look and Feel different from rest of IcedTea-Web
- Native directories are correctly cleaned on exit
- Cached files with special characters in file names are now handled correctly
- Interfaces javax.jnlp.IntegrationService and javax.jnlp.DownloadService2 are now available
- javaws now supports a new -Xclearcache option
- Applications with non-public main classes are now supported.
- JNLP files containing <component-desc> as well as <application-desc> will now work
- JNLP files referenced in the applet tag are now parsed to detect applet properties
- Applets are now double-buffered to eliminate flicker in ones that do heavy drawing
- PR592: NetX can create invalid desktop entry files
- PR542: Plugin fails with NPE http://www.openprocessing.org
- PR552: Support for FreeBSD’s pthread implementation
- PR554: System.err writes content two times
- PR556: Applet initialization code is prone to race conditions
- PR557: Applet opens in a separate window if tab is closed when the applet loads
- PR565: UIDefaults.getUI fails with jgoodies:looks 2.3.1
- PR593: Increment of invalidated iterator in IcedTeaPluginUtils
- PR597: Entities are parsed incorrectly in PARAM tag in applet plugin
- PR619: Improper finalization by the plugin can crash the browser
- RH665104: OpenJDK Firefox Java plugin loses a cookie
It can be downloaded here:
Build instructions are here:
A big thanks to Andrew John Hughes, Omair Majid and Andrew Su for helping make this happen!