IcedTea 1.8 is now out. It officially replaces the old IcedTea Plugin with the new NPRuntime based plugin.
A significant number of fixes went in since the NP plugin version in 1.7. Some of the biggest ones are:
- Memory on C++ side is all correctly managed now
- Speed has been improved over previous version
- An arbitrary number applets can initialize in parallel without causing a spike in thread count
- Support for /home on AFS and others filesystems that don’t support FIFO pipes
- Support for Chromium and Firefox running *at the same time*
If you had been apprehensive about trying it out because it wasn’t finalized before, give it a try now!